Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Play! by Sephora: October Edition

i know i'm a little late in getting this post up (like every other one ever), but things have just been crazy. I was super busy getting everything ready for LACC (neé Comikaze) and then that weekend was insane, then Halloween immediately after, i just haven't had a moment to spare.

So here we are. Let's Play!


This box was really awesome for me for a couple reasons:
1) the theme was Lipstick and Chill
2) I had only tried ONE of all the items, and it was a product a really like in a color i haven't used, so still kind of new
3) I actually received 2 boxes.... literally don't know how that happened. They included some of the same items, but it was half and half, so still cool

first box (desk Halloween decor in back :D)

I learned from going to my second Play Date that there were actually Four (4) whole boxes this month, which is a bit above their usual 2 box count. crazy, but wow.
But this invites comparisons and i'll group the products based on their corresponding things (there's always a hair product, skin, perfume, treatment and 2 makeup items). My rating scale is going to be a little different, i'll just count the whole thing as one box, so this way it makes a little more sense (hopefully).
But let's get to it.

First off, Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick:
first box info
Starting with an item in both boxes, this is the one product i already had tried, but in a different color, and it's actually one of my favorite liquid lipsticks (i talk about it in comparison to others HERE). The formula is super smooth, goes on so nice and opaque, and doesn't bleed. Plus, the wear is really even and it doesn't flake. It has a powdery finish and is definitely non-drying, so this is a great formula in general. I feel like the shades are universally flattering as well, which I def can't say about the other liquid lippy i would compare it to, Stila. Seriously, everyone looks great in their colors, so this was definitely a win for me. I recommend to everyone.
1/1

Esteé Edit Flash Photo Gloss:
(Both Boxes) I'm really not a gloss kind of girl in any way, so this isn't really up my alley. I like the concept, the whole making your teeth look whiter in pix, but it's not like i'm having my pic taken that often, so i feel like i don't really reap the benefits. I did try it though, and i don't feel like it necessarily made my teeth particularly whiter, and this is a typical thick gloss feel. it looks really cool in the tube with a bluish iridescent hue, and on it has a nice sheen, so this might be anise lipstick topper, it would just have to be applied with a brush as it's got the typical flocked applicator i'm not a big fan of. But overall, it's not a bad product and i'm glad i got to try it.
2/2

Farmacy Skin Dew Hydrating Essence Mist and Setting Spray:
(Both Boxes) This was another brand i'd been wanting to try and finally got an opportunity to! This spray smells great and really does feel hydrating. I don't feel like it set my makeup as well as like All Nighter setting spray, but the refreshing makeup bit was really nice, and it did feel hydrating. Plus i could see how this would be really good for after flights. The spray is quite strong, more like a stream than a mist, so this is why i feel like it's a good pre-makeup moisturizer or a refresher than a setting spray.
3/3

Madam CJ Walker Beauty Culture Scent & Shine Coconut Oil:
(Original Box) This is definitely a lightweight serum and doesn't separate your hair like a silicone based product would, but the scent is too strong for me. It's not a bad scent, but it is powerful and definitely conflicts with perfume. Also i feel like this is good for flyaways and strays, not all-over frizz. Might be nice for some people but really not for me.
3/4

surprise box

Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask:
(Extra Box) I'm not super down to try new hair things since mine are so awesome, but nevertheless I'll still give them a try. This one is interesting in that it's a super dense cream that actually goes a long way, but i Hate the scent. it's very old lady-esque, like a perfume my grandma would wear, and i just can't get behind it. But as far as actual use goes, it says to lather it, but i didn't really get much of a lather from it, just a slick normal conditioning feel. And upon rinsing it didn't exactly feel particularly soft, but after drying it my hair was frizz-free, felt soft and smooth, and not as damaged as it definitely is. But i doubt I'll use it as it wasn't any better than my normal stuff, and this smells so gross to me that i'm personally not a fan.
3/5

Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum:
(Original Box) This made my skin feel so nice in the morning, I'm definitely incorporating it into my skincare regimen. It's a type of acid peel, so definitely not intended for every day use, but it works super well and i love that it's designed to work on your neck and backs of hands too. A little definitely goes a long way as well, so even though it's a sizeable pricetag, it's actually a good deal. Also, i should mention i have pretty sensitive skin, and this didn't irritate in the least.
4/6

surprise box info

Erborian Bamboo Crème Frappée Skin Reviving Fresh Gel:
(Extra Box) This is really just a fancy name for a moisturizer that's supposed to be nice and light yet refreshing. I've actually been liking gel moisturizers more lately, and this one with its somewhat whipped texture is a really nice alternative. It could definitely be used in the morning as it's non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and really just makes your skin feel hydrated, not wet or slick, but also does a good job of hitting those dry spots. i've only used it a few times now but i'm definitely into it, and i could see it being great to close pores after a steam or hot face wash, or on a warm day.
5/7

Derek Lam 10 Crosby Silent St.:
(Original Box) This is the first fragrance i've gotten in a box that was actually offensive tome. I hated it so much, i really couldn't even put it on. this really isn't the worst thing ever, as i'm already sad I found two fragrances I can't live without from these boxes, so nbd hating this one. Musk is just so not my jam.
5/8

YSL Mon Paris:
(Extra Box) I loved this so much more than what i was supposed to get, but it still wouldn't be something i could wear. It's a lovely scent, but definitely strong, so i put the tester in my bag to have a nice lingering scent that's pleasant in doses. I'm still chalking this up as a win, since the scent is really lovely, just not for me to wear.
6/9

It's kind of funny that between 2 boxes, i actually liked 6 things (the number of items in one box).
As some more extra things, I went to the Play! Date at my local Sephora, and got to take home a couple more samples from the other boxes from this month. I also got to try a mascara from Blinc that was super neat, even though i didn't get to take one home, so i can talk about those too.

Blinc Mascara:
This is the 'Tube' type of mascara, where it's supposed to form a tube around your lashes, then not budge or smudge, but comes off with warm water- so you get the benefit of a waterproof mascara without the negatives. It also comes in a bunch of colors which is always a plus, and i really liked this actually. it didn't bug my lashes the way so many mascaras do, it really seems to 'dry' whereas i feel like most mascaras tend to feel somewhat gummy on.

Too Cool For School Egg Mellow Cream:
Another moisturizer in the mix, this one is a whipped texture that " works as a serum, priming moisturizer, eye cream, neck cream, and sleeping mask in one." I hadn't tried this brand before either, so it was nice to get a little tester out of it. So far I really enjoy it! It has a really smooth texture, is definitely hydrating, and doubles as a primer super well, filling in pores to create a smooth surface. Definitely more of a matte than dewy finish which really works for me. It's totally thick too, so i've been using this on my neck for sleeping as well.

Skin Inc. Pure Revival Peel:
This works almost exactly like the Cure exfoliator in my usual routine (which i go into more depth HERE), where it's a thin formula that gently rubs off your dead skin. This is an Extremely satisfying means of exfoliating, and also much gentler than a scrub, which can over activate your oil glands and cause more breakouts than the dead skin clogging your pores. I don't necessarily like one more than the other, but it is nice that i can read the language on the bottle so i can see what the ingredients are. but for me i think this comes down to price/accessibility than actually liking one formula over the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment