Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Everyday Essentials Pt 2

this is just a small snippet of my makeup collection. i'm a little obsessed with these clear stackable makeup organizers..

OK picking up where we left off with the last post, gonna just dive right in here with the last few items on the list (below for quick reference).

-Makeup Setting Spray
-Lip Exfoliation
-LipLiner (for no feathering)
-Eyeliner

Makeup Setting Spray
I wouldn't say I use Makeup Setting Spray every day, but for a long night or a special event, it's definitely something I will 100% be using. UD has 3 varieties of this, which like the ESPP, it's really all about preference, though I've included snippets from the product pages themselves to give more references on differences. And this applies to all three: "SHAKE WELL. Apply just before foundation to control oil and again after makeup to deflect surface shine and lock makeup in place. Hold the bottle 8"–10" away and mist face 2–4 times, in an "X" and "T" formation." 

1. All-Nighter– I feel like this is the straight-forward long-lasting makeup dealio, not really any added benefits outside of makeup staying put. Definitely nothing wrong with that, and I've actually used this stuff for years. The shtick for this is that it's guaranteed for 16 hours, and while I haven't tested that number exactly, it has treated me well.

From the website:
"Is makeup meltdown ruining your midnight mojo? Mist on this weightless spray to give your makeup serious staying power. All Nighter keeps your makeup looking gorgeously just-applied for up to 16 hours – without melting, cracking, fading or settling into fine lines. 

Developed in an exclusive partnership with SKINDINÄVIA, our groundbreaking, clinically tested formula is suitable for all skin types and features patented Temperature Control Technology. Yep, this baby actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to keep foundation, eyeshadow, blush and concealer in place – even in hot and humid or cold and windy conditions. The result? Smoother-looking skin and vibrant makeup that lasts all day (or all night).

In a 7-day clinical study:

• 78% of participants said All Nighter helped their makeup last for 16 hours.
• Over 80% said their makeup not only looked better, it stayed on better (even in the T-zone) without settling into fine lines. 
• Whether they had combination, oily or dry skin, 88% or more said All Nighter was the best product to help their makeup last. "

2. De-Slick– This is the Oil-Control setting spray, so it's for oilier skin in addition to setting your makeup in place. I feel like my skin does what it likes, so some days i have oilier skin and this works out well, and some days it's definitely drier.

From the website:
"Oily skin has met its match! Mist on this weightless spray to control oil, deflect surface shine and help makeup stay put. Meet your most powerful oil-control ally. De-Slick mists on weightlessly to control oil, deflect surface shine and keep skin looking beautifully matte. High-tech ingredients help keep foundation, shadow and blush from smudging, sliding or fading – so you hardly ever need to touch up. 

Developed in an exclusive partnership with SKINDINÄVIA, this groundbreaking, clinically tested formula features patented Temperature Control Technology. Yep, this baby actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to help it stay put and keep skin looking smooth (but never shiny).

In a 7-day clinical study:

• 100% of participants said De-Slick helped prevent makeup meltdown.
• Over 90% said their makeup looked less shiny, didn’t slide and rarely needed to be touched up.
• 85% said De-Slick is the longest-lasting oil-control product they've ever used."


3. Chill– This one is only supposed to last up to 12 hours of no makeup meltdown (i think De-Slick is the same number), but it has the added bonus of being cooling and hydrating, so really good for drier skin or on hot summer days.

From the website:
"Just CHILL. Mist on this weightless spray for makeup that lasts all day without smudging or settling into fine lines. Stop makeup meltdown. Chill features cooling time-release Temperature Control Technology that actually chills the surface of your makeup – to keep it looking gorgeously just-applied for up to 12 hours. 

Perfect for drier or combination skin, Chill mists on to keep makeup from smudging or settling into fine lines. Developed in an exclusive partnership with SKINDINÄVIA, this groundbreaking, clinically tested formula holds foundation, eyeshadow, blush and concealer in place. The result? Vibrant makeup that LASTS and a glowing, dewy, youthful complexion. 

In a 7-day clinical study of Chill:

• Over 83% of participants said Chill helped their makeup last for 12 hours without smudging or settling into fine lines. 
• 88% said their concealer, foundation, shadow and blush lasted longer too!
• 94% said Chill kept their makeup looking just-applied. "

Lips
As far as lips go, I use a couple different products to keep my lipstick looking great, and of course just as great skin is the best basis for great makeup, keeping your lips hydrated and smooth is the best base for perfect looking lipstick. I use a combination of different lip balms depending on what I feel I need at the time when i'm not using lipstick, I use an exfoliator when i'm done with my lipstick for the day after taking it off with makeup remover, and then I have a nightly treatment to keep them happy and healthy.

Starting with balms, these I keep in my purse at all times:
1. Marc Jacobs Lip Lock Moisture Balm– This stuff is amazing. it's so creamy yet dry, soft, and SO moisturizing, and also tasteless as well as colorless. It's name is "Makeout" and I feel like it would indeed be the most perfect lippy to wear while doing just that, just cuz it's so nice and dry, but it feels so ridiculously good, you're not feeling dried out even after *ahem* directly sharing from your lips with another person for an extended period of time. It even has SPF18 so you get some sun protection. I seriously use it on the regular, especially when it's just a lazy day with gym time and such and i'm not bothering with makeup at all.

2. Dior Addict Lip Glow– I have legit used this stuff for years, and there are not enough nice things to say about it. Fuck, do yourself a favor if you don't already own it, and buy a goddamn tube. I use the pink shade,  but it is super flattering on everyone, NO EVERYONE. Like you might be tempted to think, oh maybe that may not be the right shade for my skin, but Yes It Is. It's perfect. it responds to the pheromones in your skin, so it'll look different even on your own lips at different times. I love this so much, it's so soft and smooth, not sticky, not quite as dry of a feel as the Marc Jacobs stuff, and it gives such a nice light color that's great for a natural look. I love the minty-ish flavor/smell of it and I HATE MINT (like everything except actual mint leaves, it all sucks. especially peppermint), and it really is just all around great– it even has SPF10 so once again I get a baby amount of sun protection.

3. Malin+Goetz Mojito Lip Balm– This is totally different from the other two balms I use, as it's definitely the kind of sticky gel type stuff, but it's really not sticky so much as slick and thick. I use this as a treatment when despite my best efforts my lips are still on the chapped side. It feels great, soothes irritated lips, and is a really nice option for something cooling and gentle to get unhappy lips back on track to perfection.

Every once in a while I add one of the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments to my arsenal (largely because it comes in so many colors), but I feel that while it goes on so smooth and feels nice, it doesn't really absorb into my lips, it moreso just coats them. 

Exfoliators/Treatment: I have used several lip exfoliators in the past (including Lush, which is a brand I love), but I have pretty much stopped experimenting because I found the perfect one: Fresh Sugar Lip Polish. This is such a straight-forward product, you can't even really get too in-depth on it, as it does just what it's supposed to- it polishes your lips to be the happiest version they can be by buffing away dead skin and not drying them out by leaving a moisturizing layer behind, even after rinsing the sugar off. 

Every night as part of the evening ritual, I use Bite Beauty's Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub followed by their Agave Lip Mask. Every now and then Sephora has a set with the two rodents, but they're worth it to buy separately also. So yeah, this is another lip exfoliator, but i really feel like they're a little different. While the Fresh one is nice and easy and i like to use it to help clean off my lipstick and really scrub my lips, Bite's is definitely a little more like a true treatment in that it's really nice and soft, and serves to prime for excellent absorption of the mask. Also, this is good to use before lipstick as well and it won't be too rough, and the combination of this scrub and mask is seriously Delicious. It smells amazing, and tastes great, and is such a nice way to feel while drifting off to sleep. Bite is a fantastic brand to boot- I love everything from them. I did a post a while back talking about a set of their lipsticks i have, and I still crazy recommend them. Plus, how can you say no to all natural products? You can't.

Lip Liner
I usually use two pretty much every day, which seems excessive, but ultimately is more practical than anything else.

1. Urban Decay Ultimate Ozone Multipurpose Primer Pencil– I've used UD's lip pencils for a while, and have been using the regular Ozone for years, but this fatter, smoother version is SO much better. It goes on so much easier than it's skinnier counterpart, and is great for coverage. This really keeps your lipstick in line with almost zero feathering. Just line inside/outside the lips, and everything's good to go. So nice. It's really kind of a necessity.

2. Urban Decay Glide-On Lip Pencil– They're great. I use a different one every day for every different color of lipstick I have, and while i don't yet own all 22 shades, I do have a ton of them so no big. These really are an excellent tool, you just have to be confident with your lines so they're nice and crisp, then fill in the lips (i would say at the very least mid way) so you have a great long-lasting color. Plus, this isn't your mom's method of creating one line around the entire outside of the lips in a slightly darker color, then using your lipstick. A great blend is just as important on the lips as it is on the eyes, and an ombre lip is always a solid look, whether a gradual transition or a stark difference in colors. Lip liner can really make all the difference too, especially when it comes to a bold, classic, red lip. Also a necessity.

Eyeliner
So there are truly more options on the market than I can count, and I'm fairly certain I've tried them all. Seriously, eyeliner is my jam. If i don't have time for makeup and am leaving the house with nothing on, I still have eyeliner. Trust me, I can talk about everything on the market in detail, but that would be a crazy post all on it's own, and this is more about what I use everyday and don't really think about.

1. Glide-On Pencil Eyeliner– My eyeliner journey started years and years ago with pencil, and after much trial and error, it led me to my eternal love of UD's pencils. They really are my favorite available, going on super nice and lasting all day once set, but pencil isn't really my jam anymore, but when i do use pencil to add to my eye look, these are what I use.

2. Cream/Gel Liner– This was the next step in my eyeliner evolution, and i really did go through like every option out there, though my favorite out of all of them was Smashbox's Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner. Since this is no longer something I really seek out, when I do use a gel liner to enhance my eye look (generally to make it look a little messier and smokier), I reach for UD's Super-Saturated Ultra Intense Waterproof Cream Eyeliner purely out of convenience. 

3. MAC Liquidlast Liner– This is the Holy Grail. There is nothing else. This is everything I wear every day, and for absolutely good reason. After I graduated from gel/cream liner, i moved into the liquid realm. Now, I have incredibly stupid sensitive eyes, so many liquid formulas of any type are too much for me and I wind up having waterfalls from hell springing from my eyes, but this little baby is a miracle. It's the most truly waterproof thing I've come across in makeup EVER, and it is perfect. I literally wrote an article for a journalism class about how this is the only liquid liner anyone needs, and I HAVE TRIED EVERY SINGLE ONE OUT THERE. This liner is what dreams are made of. It doesn't flake, doesn't melt, doesn't smudge, doesn't pull. It mother fucking glides on your delicate skin, making it insanely easy to create gorgeous, crisp, deep black lines that really seal the deal with any look. I could write sonnets to the majesty that is this liner, but it wouldn't do it justice. This liner is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment