Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

The stars are out tonight

My heart broke a little bit last Sunday night when I heard the news, it doesn't even feel real. I don't know how to function in a world without the Thin White Duke, Ziggy Stardust, the Goblin King, and all the other great personas. David Bowie taught me it's cool to be weird, makeup isn't a set design, gender is fluid, and gave me my first pang of lust. He showed me compassion for the bad guy and that it's ok constantly redefine and evolve who you are.

His voice is pure liquid gold that flows through my core and gives me goosebumps-it's the sound of heaven. It vibrates on the same wavelengths of my soul. I have a few favorite songs of course, Hunky Dory is my favorite album, I could listen to the loner mix of 'Bring Me the Disco King' on repeat, his Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby has always been my favorite Christmas song, but I would even listen to this man read the dictionary. He's so much more than my favorite Goblin King, his incredible vocal chords and insane talent as a musician and songwriter define him and an absolute Renaissance man the likes of which have never been seen.
I unfortunately was born too young to have the opportunity to see this unicorn perform in person, though it was my biggest life's dream to hear this voice straight to my ear drums, no middle man, be in the presence of such magnificence, and lament that it will never happen. I know the earth is billions of years old and we right now were lucky enough to exist in the same time as David Bowie, and I can agree, but God, does that statement hurt even more. In billions of years there has only been one David Bowie.

SORRY SIMON PEGG. STILL HEARTBROKEN. 

It's nuts to think how someone you never met could have such an influence on your life. I've had more people than I can count give me condolences as if I've lost a friend, and I suppose in a way I have, though I can't imagine what people who actually knew this genius are going through. Though I haven't done it in a while, there are so many of my own creations that came about listening to his music, I used to sit and draw just lost in a world with Bowie as the soundtrack. I made my boyfriend dress up as him for Halloween one year, I introduced friends to his music, watched his movies during sleepovers, marveled at how one person could do so much and have so many different outlets for creativity. It hurts so much to think that this person no longer exists, but the legacy is left behind. 

the internet gathered some awesome stuff for me so i don't have to sob looking for it all, so here a couple nice links.
Instagram
TheChive

The world lost a magical, wondrous creature that there can never be a copy of. He gave us so much. We'll miss you, David Bowie

Mourning outfit, cuz gotta be stylish for this great man. Quay My Girl Sunnies, BM's the Vamp Jacket, BM's Little Lies Maxi Cross Dress, YRU Nightmare booties (the BM stuff is museum cuz it can'y get gotten anymore, the shoes represent this being my actual nightmare, in honor of a beautiful man who has left us)


PS. that whole week sucked. brb gotta go sob some more over Alan Rickman. haven't done enough of that lately apparently...

No comments:

Post a Comment